What’s in this review?
Also see: SSE for business
An easy way of minimizing how much you spend on bills is by going back to the basics. Energy is essential to all households but it doesn’t necessarily have to take a big chunk of your expenses. Getting the best deal by comparing prices will be a great win in saving on costs.
- A £40/fuel annual discount on Direct Debit Payments
- The smart energy tracker allows you to monitor your energy usage
- Access to prepayment meters
- Efficient phone customer service
Below we take an in-depth look at SSE Atlantic and what it has to offer you before you make the switch.
Core Services & Offering
SSE Atlantic Energy is a subsidiary of SSE (Scottish and Southern Energy). In 2004, Atlantic became a part of the SSE group.
SSE Atlantic has its independent energy tariffs for domestic customers. Customers are supplied with energy on Economic meters, credit, and prepayment. The independent supplier has more than 300,000 customers.
The SSE group has more than 19,000 employees. SSE is one of the largest generators of renewable energy in the UK with its largest energy source being hydro followed closely by wind power.
Can you save on energy bills by switching to SSE Atlantic? Call us today to compare different energy prices.
Which Tariffs Does SSE Atlantic Offer?
SSE Atlantic has only one tariff on offer. The prices of the tariff depend on:
✓Meter type-Economy 7/10, credit, or prepayment
✓Billing method-paperless or paper
✓Payment Method-Monthly DD (Direct Debit) or quarterly after bill receipt
Standard Evergreen Tariff
- Variable rates
- No contract
- The exit fee is not applicable
- You get a £40/fuel annual discount deducted from your energy supply standing charge. Discounts include paperless billing and DD where applicable depending on the rates
What are The Standard Evergreen Tariff Rates?
|Meter Type||Unit Rate (pence/kWh)||Standing Charge (pence/day)|
|Standard Electricity Credit||16.42p||14.8p|
|Prepayment Economy 7/10||Day-12.81p
|Standard Gas Credit||4.18p||14.8p|
Let’s now take a look at the annually estimated bills for an average household with a consumption of about 12,500 kWh of gas and 3,200 kWh of electricity.
|Payment Method||Paperless Bills and Direct Debit||Paper Bills and Direct Debit||Quarterly Paperless Bills||Quarterly Paper Bills||PAYG (Pay as You Go)|
|Annual Bill Estimate||£1,172.57||£1,184.05||£1,253.07||£1,264.55||£1,265.55|
For your tailored quote fill our simple form at the top of the page or call us today.
Does SSE Atlantic Have Smart Meters?
SSE Atlantic has smart meters. Once you apply, they will contact you for installation if you are eligible.
The benefits of a smart meter are:
- Meter readings are automatically sent to SSE Atlantic
- Your bills are based on actual usage rather than on estimates
- Using the Smart Energy Tracker that comes with the smart meter, you will be able to monitor your energy usage and minimize wastage thus saving on costs
- You can use your online account to manage your energy usage more conveniently
How Do You Pay Your SSE Atlantic Bills?
There are a number of ways in which you can pay your bills and they are:
- Monthly DD
- Quarterly DD payment upon receipt of paperless or paper bill
- By cheque using the post
- Using your debit or credit card
Does SSE Atlantic Offer the Warm Home Discount?
It does. The Warm Home Discount program gives vulnerable individuals £140 for their energy bills.
To apply, you need to go online and fill in a form.
Want to switch to SSE Atlantic but don’t know how? This is what you need to do.
How Do You Switch to SSE Atlantic?
- You can do so online or you can call them on 0345 026 7036.
- Once you complete giving out all the necessary details you will be given a cooling off period of 14 days where you can change your mind about the switch at no cost.
- If after 14 days you still decide to proceed with the switch, SSE Atlantic will inform your current supplier of your decision and make arrangements to complete the switch.
- SSE Atlantic will keep you informed of the progress.
- Just before your switch, SSE Atlantic will request for a meter reading.
How Do You Change Tenancy?
Are you moving with SSE Atlantic? If so, you need to get in touch with their team on 0345 071 9364, their Homemovers will guide you on what to do. They will make final arrangements of your current energy supply then switch you to SSE Atlantic if you choose to remain with them.
It is important to be aware of the energy source of your electricity supply and its environmental impact. Let’s now take a look at the fuel mix of SSE Atlantic.
SSE Atlantic Customer Score
Rated by 8,761, members of the public, the entire SSE group ranked position 24 out of a total of 31 energy companies in the customer survey held by Which? annually.
SSE Verdict by Which?
SSE takes the middle position among the Big 6 competitors. SSE’s customers gave it 3/5 stars in all the categories of Which? survey including value for money, bills, and complaints handling.
Customers were more impressed by SSE’s telephone customer service. Compared to the other Big 6 energy providers, SSE gets fewer complaints in every 1,000 customers as per SSE’s 2017 first half data. Furthermore, the firm resolves slightly over ¾ of the complaints it receives the same day or latest the following working day.
One of SSE’s customers pointed out, “They have always been there to speak to and get the answers within a few minutes, and I find they do know what they are talking about.”
The company’s standard tariff is the 2nd cheapest tariff amongst the Big 6 suppliers.
Ofgem reports that 72% of SSE Atlantic’s customers who’ve contacted the energy supplier appreciate the services received.
However, some of the noticeable customer reviews on Trustpilot mention that quite a number of customers have been left without electricity and gas for considerable lengths of time while waiting for the firm’s maintenance.
SSE 2018 News
The shareholders at SSE agreed on a business merger with Npower. SSE Chairman Mr. Gillingwater said this would see the company ‘combine the resources and experience of two established players with the focus and agility of an independent supplier.’
In June 2018, SSE compensated former Ebico customers £190,000 after there was a delay in their switch. It took almost 6 months to switch customers to the new deal rather than the average 49 days. The delay in the switch caused some customers to pay more while others lost out on savings.
SSE Atlantic Support
For questions, queries, and complaints, you can contact SSE Atlantic through the following channels:
- Telephone:0345 073 3030. The customer service team is available from Monday to Friday between 8 am and 8 pm and on Saturdays between 8 am and 2 pm.
- Email them via their online form.
- Write to them a letter: SSE Atlantic, Inveralmond House, 200 Dunkeld Road, Perth, PH 1 3AQ
If SSE Atlantic’s customer service team is unable to resolve your issue immediately, they will try and have a solution to your complaint by 8pm the next working day.
If up to this point, your issue has not been resolved, you can escalate your complaint to their Customer Service Head. From there, an independent complaint review will be conducted and resolved within 5 working days.
SSE Atlantic Reviews
Similar to many of the other ‘big six’ energy companies, SSE Atlantic doesn’t have many positive reviews on Trustpilot. Only 10% of their 400+ reviews are positive, 81% are negative and the rest fall somewhere in the middle. Many of the negative reviews state that the staff are unhelpful, they have been overcharged for their energy or when trying to leave them, they have run into issues.
It is very important to keep in mind that online reviews aren’t always accurate, but you should consider them when deciding which supplier you want to switch to.
Positive SSE Atlantic Review
That was the quickest, nicest, and most informative customer service, and products that someone needs. Anytime, and anywhere in the world.
Negative SSE Atlantic Review
Avoid at all costs – exceptionally rude staff, overcharging on a regular basis, inconsistent billing, etc.
|Overall Trustpilot Score||★★★★★||★★★★★||★★★★★||★|
|Discounts||No||No||£15.75 per fuel per year||£50 electricity credit|
|The average cost for dual fuel three bedroom home||£82||£78||£90.00||£107.44|
|Positive Reviews on Trustpilot||92% Positive||86% Positive||86% Positive||10% Positive|
Who Should Use the Company?
SSE Business Energy might be an excellent fit for customers that would prefer to have their energy supplied by one of the big six, which often means reliability and extra services.
SSE Atlantic Review
SSE is one of the largest suppliers of electricity and gas in the UK, which means that customers can enjoy having that stability but also benefitting from their full range of services that go beyond energy to broadband, telephones and cover for essential home appliances.
- Simple tariff
- Prepayment meters are available
- Discounts offered for paperless billing and Direct Debit payment
- No tariff variety.
- Not the cheapest energy supplier in the market
- Fined by Ofgem 3 years ago for misselling products by some of its telesales agents