Reducing energy bills cuts down on your overall business costs. There is no doubt about that. With the prices of gas and electricity continually going up, it becomes essential to find a reliable and affordable energy supplier for your business.
What’s in this review?
Let’s get things underway.
Core Services & Offering
Who is British Gas Energy?
British Gas Energy is one of the leading energy suppliers in the UK supplying electricity and gas to over 11 million homes and over 500,000 micro businesses and large commercial companies. The energy supplier is part of Centrica company whose considerable investments in various renewable and sustainable energy projects is over £1.5 billion.
Below are some of the features of the fixed tariff energy plan.
- The electricity prices are fixed
- Pricing depends on your electricity consumption and business size
- An easy switch is possible within 21 days
- Energy plans range from 1-3 fixed price plans
- Expert advice for your business
- A dedicated business energy account manager
- Using Direct Debit to pay your monthly bills saves you up to 7%
Want to know more about where British Gas gets its energy from? Keep reading.
What is Lite Energy?
Lite is a smart energy service designed for small business. With it comes a free smart meter. The Lite energy service is entirely online.
Smart Meters by British Gas Energy
British Gas is committed to ensuring that all businesses have smart meters by 2020. Business customers can upgrade their meters to smart meters at no cost all. Smart meters have the following benefits:
- No more estimated bills
- Only pay for the energy you have consumed
- You will be able to monitor your energy usage
- You will quickly identify efficiency downfalls and be able to fix them
A £35 Energy monitor that is free
- Email and SMS reminders
- A Predictive Spend Calculator that is available online
- Access to your consumption history is also open online
Does British Gas Energy Have a Business App?
Yes, it does. iPhone and Android phone users can enjoy a customised business app with which you can perform the following functions:
- Log in and registration
- Submitting your meter readings
- Viewing and securely paying your balance
- Considering your new balance after submitting a meter reading or paying your bill
Does British Gas (BG) Have Discounts and Special Offers?
BG has different discounts and special offers for their business electricity and gas customers some of which are highlighted below.
- Renewing your gas contract for consumptions below 80,000 kWh per year will save you £600 annually.
- To cap prices during your contract period, British Gas Energy offers various tariff options.
- To reduce to zero your Climate Change Levy, there some green tariffs available that are 100% renewable. Depending on the tariff, you will be required to pay a small fee to upgrade.
|Did You Know?
British Gas only evaluates gas customers with a credit score of over 40 and for electricity customers, a score of over 30.
We are not through yet. Let us look at the tariffs offered by this energy company.
Contract Lengths & Fees
The tariff information provided in the table below is accurate as of August 14th 2017.
The tariff type for electricity and gas includes fixed rate, prepayment, standard variable, and green deals.
The value of average bill on dual fuel tariff is inclusive of the 14 energy regions defined by Ofgem as 3100kWh of electricity and 12,000 kWh of gas, paying via Direct Debit.
In the event where you terminate your contract before it ends, depending on your tariff, you are required to pay an exit fee of around £25-£30/fuel.
|Tariff Name||Tariff Type||Value of Average Bill||Exit Fee|
|Standard||Dual fuel (variable)||£1,120||N/A|
What Rates Can You Expect from British Gas Out-of-Contract Rates?
|Meter Type||Rates (p/kWh)||Standing Charge (p/day)|
How Do You Pay Your British Gas Energy Bills?
You can pay online-It is the easiest and fastest way to pay your bill. Also, you will keep track of your energy consumption, store all of your bills, and access them whenever you wish to. All you need to do is create your online account.
Other ways in which you can pay your bills are:
- Bank Transfer
- Direct Debit
- At the bank using a Giro Slip
- Post office
Can’t wait to switch to British Gas? Here’s what you need to know.
How Do You Switch to British Gas Energy?
Switching to British Gas takes anywhere between 3 weeks-3 months.
If possible, have the following information with you:
- End-date of your contract
- Your latest energy bills
- Consumption rates
However, if you do not have this information, there is no need to worry. You will still be assisted even without it.
To switch, British Gas will have to do the following:
- Carry out a comprehensive credit check for your business and you.
- Send you a confirmation pack containing your contract, account number, energy price, among other pertinent information.
- Contact your current energy supplier to inform them that they are taking over on a specific agreed date.
British Gas highly recommends that you have an online account. This will make managing your business energy supply easier.
On your part, you will be required to:
- Ensure that you have read and fully understand the terms and conditions of your contract with British Gas Energy.
- Clear your outstanding bills with your current supplier and give them notice
- Submit your first meter reading within five days after supply commences so that the correct 1st bill is sent to you.
British Gas offers different incentives to encourage you to make a switch to them. Some of the offers of switching your business electricity and gas to British Gas are:
- Care plan for your business that starts at £79.00
- When you buy your business electricity online, you get 10% off
- Switching off your gas online will save your business up to £900
- When you switch your multiple meters, you get a reward of a maximum of £400
Ready to make the switch? Go ahead and give us a call. You can also fill out our simple form at the top of the page, and we will get back to you asap.
What Should You Do When You are Changing Tenancy?
If you are changing your business premises, you should call or write to British Gas Energy Business Move Team.
There are three ways in which you can make your business energy queries and complaints
- By post
- Via phone
- Sending them an email
Their customer service team is available from Monday-Thursday between 8.30 am and 5.30 pm. You can also reach them on Fridays between 8.30 am and 5 pm.
British Gas Energy Reviews
British Gas Energy has a generally negative customer reputation on Trustpilot, with a ‘bad’ 1-star rating which comprises of almost 4,000 reviews. Many of these reviews state that there is a lack of communications internally in British Gas Energy which then causes issues for their customers, whether it’s a billing issue or problems with repairing boilers and so on.
Online reviews aren’t always reliable, but you should consider them when you are switching suppliers as there is an element of truth in a large number of reviews whether positive or negative.
Positive British Gas Energy Reviews
I’ve never had an issue with British Gas. They were very helpful when I moved house and had a few problems with it being in joint names they couldn’t just transfer the account.
Negative British Gas Energy Reviews
Rubbish, customer service is awful, don’t listen to what you’re telling them, so glad I never properly signed up with them, sent a bill ten months after moving in, raised a complaint which was also a rubbish response
|Company||Bulb||So Energy||Affect||British Gas|
|Overall Trustpilot Score||★★★★★||★★★★★||★★★★★||★|
|Discounts||No||No||£15.75 per fuel per year||£15 per fuel by paying by debit card|
|The average cost for dual fuel three bedroom home||£82||£78||£90.00||£90|
|Positive Reviews on Trustpilot||92% Positive||86% Positive||86% Positive||37% Positive|
Who Should Use the Company?
British Gas might be the best fit for customers that would like more control over their energy and their home. With the vast variety of smart home gadgets available and cover for most of your essential items like boilers, you can rest assured that British Gas Energy will protect your home from the cold winter months.
British Gas Review
British Gas is one of the largest companies in the UK, and definitely one of the oldest companies in the world. They can offer customers the newest developments in home technology, cover for your boiler and even for your plumbing and drains.
- When you buy your business electricity online, you get 10% off
- Boiler and heating cover
- Stability of a large energy supplier
- Not as cost-effective as their independent competitors
- 1-star rating on Trustpilot
- Poor customer service according to customers reviews